Sunday, December 16, 2007

I Am Legend

Will Smith blows my mind. In I Am Legend, his acting chops are on full display. Forget the smart-mouth, indestructible, action heroes he's played in Independence Day, Men in Black and I, Robot. In this film he shows his more serious skills, as he did in Six Degrees of Separation, Ali and The Pursuit of Happyness, the dude can act. Smith's character, Robert Neville, is the sole survivor in New York City after a virus obliterates the population. Seeing the streets of New York, completely abandoned, is haunting. Broadway, Times Square, The Brooklyn Bridge, Park Avenue, Greenwich Street, Washington Square Park, all familiar to me, all freaky looking in this film. Neville is flawed, he is fallible and he is "going to fix this". I wasn't crazy about the story line of the virus mutating people to zombies, but they make it work, and I will say, the CGI is impressive. An intense survival story with a futuristic, sci-fi twist.

2 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I was hoping you'd review this one, and I plan to catch it fairly soon. I think "Charlie Wilson's War" will be up first, and then onto this one. Thanks.

Linda said...

My pleasure, Charlie Wilson and Sweeney Todd are on my list for this weekend ..... enjoy!