Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Screen Scenes: Criterion Cinemas, New Haven, CT

Ninety miles south of my home, is New Haven, CT. This small New England city is home to a Bow Tie theater, the Criterion Cinema. I first became aware of this little gem when my niece told me about a "fancy movie theater" she'd been to in New Haven. A quick internet search found the New Haven branch of this indie friendly chain, and I was hooked. On Mother's Day I had my first chance to visit this theater, it was a promotional showing of Waitress. Month's later, my movie buddy Deb and I, saw Darjeeling Limited and Gone Baby Gone. A quick walk across the street and we had sandwiches at Katz's Deli II after the show, yum! Convenient off the highway, safe easy parking garage across the street, comfy seating, friendly staff and flavored salt for the popcorn. A nice cinematic find.

4 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

Sounds like fun. There's a Katz's deli in Austin that I eat at, although I doubt if it's the same place.

As for Gone Baby Gone, I liked the ending (at least it was thought provoking) and I felt this was one of the best movies that came out last year.

Linda said...

2D~Doesn't look like the Katz in Austin is connected w/ the ones here in the northeast, but good food is good food!!

Gone Baby Gone ending was VERY thought provoking, I'd like to see it again. It's one I recommend all the time.

Nayana Anthony said...

I checked out the website, and it looks like a cool little theater. Bowtie has theaters in New York, Maryland, Connecticut, and...Colorado? Seem incongruous to anyone else? It'd be kinda cool if they could make a stopover in MN... it does seem to be on the way.

Linda said...

Nayana~Bow Tie looks like it's growing, maybe it will get to MN some day soon!