Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gone Baby Gone

Crime investigation stories make good cinema. Ben Affleck chose to adapt the novel Gone Baby Gone for his directorial debut. I think it was a good choice. Set in Boston, a 4 year old girl is missing, and a private investigator is approached to find her. Old contacts and new influence the investigation. Information and misinformation cause people to make important decisions and judgements. This is a good who done it, with just enough twists to keep it interesting. There is also an element of "what would you do?" that makes the viewer think. I enjoyed this film.

4 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I saw this yesterday (posting review on Wed), and really liked it.

It built to a very powerful ending where it was a tough choice, and I like the overrall gray zone where most of the film operated.

A surprsingly good first film from Affleck.

Linda said...

I think Affleck understands the mechanics of a good film better than folks give him credit for. I hope this is the first film of a solid directorial career. I'm a long time fan of the guy.

Agree on the ending, it was powerful, not a very neat package and very satisfying. Lots of interesting conversation after this one, good stuff!!

2 Dollar Productions said...

Agreed. Definitely. And I generally like Affleck as well because he's always had a good sense of humor about himself - even when he was one half of J Lo and making terrible movie choices.

I'm rooting for him.

Linda said...

Loved him in the SNL bit where he's trying to get rid of the Bennifer t-shirts. :)