Saturday, October 27, 2007

Lust, Caution

I have been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of the Focus Features executive I drove this summer at the Newport Film Festival. Through all my Google searches, and photo exploration (it was dark and the guy was sitting behind me) I think it was James Shamus. He asked me a ton of questions, and in our 4 minute encounter, made me feel special.

Today I saw a film he worked on with Ang Lee, and I'm pretty impressed. Lust, Caution is a very cool spy thriller set in World War II China. A member of a resistance faction turns spy to try to bring down a political hotshot, using physical attraction as her weapon. Her role is to lure him into a position for assassination. Both get more emotionally involved than they should. Not a happy ending. Lee brings his beautiful film style to this story. Violent and erotic, an interesting war-time thriller.

No comments: