Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Oscar 2008 : The Sounds

I remember when speakers were installed down the side walls of movie theaters. Dolby digital sound was one awesome development! When thinking about sound in a film, I figure if a non-expert, like me, notices, it must be good. Of the nominees for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing, the film that stands out to me for both awards is Transformers. When it comes to music, the most memorable Original Soundtrack, for me, was in the film Atonement. For Original Song, I'm all about "Falling Slowly" from the film Once. Not only is it a gorgeous song, beautifully performed, it is used as a dramatic vehicle in the film. I was brought to tears both times it was used. With music, comes emotion, brilliant!

4 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

Lots to catch up on around here.

I still have yet to see "Atonement," and I don't have any feel for the music categories this year.

Previously, I completely agree w/ yr. take on Jesse James as it looked great. And I'm going to buy Michael Clayton on DVD today at lunch.

Gangster was good, but I am not going to buy it - for now at least.

Linda said...

2D~I'm watching my last Oscar nominated film tonight, In the Valley of Elah, then I'm done! I'm not counting docs, foreign or shorts. It's been such a fun film year! Be sure to check the link I put on "Falling Slowly". It's like a trailer for Once, so beautiful. I was so excited when I found it. Enjoy!

Nayana Anthony said...

I am so behind you on Atonement and Once. That typewriter element of the Atonement score really added to the urgency... and who could not fall in desperate love with Once??? I just want that film to get some, any recognition!

Linda said...

Nayana~I was so excited when I found this clip for Falling Slowly. We'll see how it does Sunday. : )