Saturday, December 29, 2007

Atonement

I left my house this morning with an ambitious schedule of films. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Savages and Atonement. A theater near Boston was showing all three on a schedule that had me in by 11 AM, out by 5:30 PM. I was worried it was too ambitious, these are not frivolous films. I left the theater exhilarated after 6 hours of quality entertainment. This film fan is pretty happy tonight.

In the film Atonement my pals at Focus Features bring another intense drama to the screen. This time there is love, misunderstanding, wrongful accusation and punishment, war and regret. Is there a final atonement? See the film, read the book, I was surprised at the end. This film has an interesting structure, outstanding performances, beautiful sets, costumes, lighting and camera work. It's even a bit risque. For me, one of the best films of 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Focus, so I'm looking forward to seeing Atonement. But I hate crying in the theatre...should I wait for DVD?

Thanks for commenting...it's nice to meet you!

Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Hi Franki! Atonement has a poignant ending, don't think I cried. It's kind of a wild story. Nice to hear from you, Happy New Year, enjoy .....