Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Great Debaters

I'm a sucker for young adult success stories. When it prevails under adversity, I basically melt. The film The Great Debaters is about the The Wiley College debate team, in the mid-thirties. They were so successful, they were invited to debate at Harvard. Racism is an ugly aspect of human nature that is addressed with intelligence and dignity in this film. This was an emotional film that gave me chills at many moments (yes, there were tissue moments too). I don't really understand the art of debate, but I understand the heart of human dignity, the sense of self and the ability to stand up for what you are and what you believe in. I think that is what this film is about. Worth a look.

2 comments:

Toto said...

Was a bit skeptical about "The Great Debaters," but the terrific cast won me over. Found the film very much alive in the best sense, both visually and spiritually, even though it's not a religious film, per se.

Linda said...

Hi Toto! I was surprised by this film as well. The performances and spirit of the characters made the film.