Monday, February 18, 2008

Oscar 2008 : The Sights

I will start by saying that 2007 was a wonderful year for film. When I look at the list of Oscar nominated films, there's not one that isn't worth your time.

The look of a movie is key. Art Direction is a pretty big award in my book. Many movies had a fantastic look, but the one that stands out in my mind is Atonement. The sets, the colors, the scene at the beach, just gorgeous. I'm surprised to say that my favorite for Cinematography is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, absolutely poetic. The Editing in Into the Wild did a masterful job of telling the back story of Chris McCandless, along with the adventure of a lifetime. All the nominees for Visual Effects are award-worthy, but the robots impressed me more than the pirates, so Transformers gets my vote. I saw it from the front row, the back row and my couch, blew my mind every time. The award for Costumes is an easy call for me. I went to see Elizabeth:The Golden Age anticipating the nomination, and was not disappointed. The garb of the period is so dramatic it's hard to ignore, they did a beautiful job in this film. Oddly, I'm giving Norbit the nod for makeup. Eddie Murphy is unrecognizable as 2 of the 3 characters in this film. Could it win a Razzie and an Oscar in the same year? I'd love that!

No comments: