Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oscar 2008 : The Stories

I recently read that if you're looking for the best films of the year, look at the nominations for Best Screenplays. I agree. Because writing is a struggle for me, I have a lot of respect for those who can organize words.

For Original Screenplay, Diablo Cody has brought movie goers a breath of fresh air in the film Juno. The story she tells, the characters she creates (I agree that Paulie Bleeker is totally boss!) and the dialogue she delivers, makes for a fine film. After seeing it a second time, with a more critical eye, my biggest problem was missing a word or line due to the laughter from the audience! Never a bad thing....

With The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Ronald Harwood adapts the fascinating story of Jean-Dominique Bauby. His stroke, his struggle, his life, his loves. Bauby wrote his own story through a painstaking technique, Harwood brings it to the screen as a tender, personal story. A beautiful story, a beautiful film.

No comments: