Thursday, February 21, 2008

Oscar 2008 : The People

As of last night, I've seen all of the Oscar nominated films (not including documentaries, foreign and live-action shorts). *whew* I used to think this activity would make picking the Oscar winners a breeze, but I've found it's the opposite. All of the performances nominated are award worthy, I want them all to win! I'll be cheering no matter who gets the gold guy.

I think the strongest performance for Supporting Actor came from Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men, for Supporting Actress I'm sold on Amy Ryan's performance in Gone Baby Gone. I'd love to see Ellen Page walk with the Best Actress award for her performance in Juno (today is her birthday, Happy Birthday!), though if Julie Christie wins it for Away From Her, it would be deserving. The slam-dunk this year is Daniel Day-Lewis, probably, winning the Best Actor Oscar for his mesmerizing performance in There Will Be Blood. The Best Director award is tough. My sentimental favorite is Julian Schnabel for his direction of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, but I think Joel and Ethan Coen will probably be arguing over whose mantel the statue will sit on when the evening is done, for their work on No Country for Old Men. All award worthy work!

No comments: