Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sex and the City

On my last trip to New York City, I bought a pair of red patent leather high heels. I had been mentally scolding myself ever since, knowing that I didn't have anywhere to wear them. Then, last week, I received an invitation to a screening of the Sex and the City movie. The scolding stopped, I knew where to wear the shoes. I felt a little silly walking into the suburban multiplex in my kick-ass heels, most women were wearing flip flops and sneakers. Once in the theater, I felt much better. Many of the women were dolled up for the occasion, this is truly an "event" movie. As the red carpet coverage rolled, I was content inside my red stilettos ..... ahhh the joy of pretty shoes.

I did not follow the TV series, but rented several episodes on DVD, and have one season in my DVD collection (a gift). To me, this show is a guilty pleasure. Light viewing, great clothes, great shoes. The movie is the story of writer, Carrie Bradshaw, and her relationships with gal pals Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte, and her true love, Big. I was glad I didn't know anything about the plot of the movie going in, and knew just enough about the characters. It is about maturity, decisions, commitment, forgiveness and, yes, sex. Seeing this movie was an experience, as I was surrounded by die-hard fans, hooting and hollering, cheering and crying (I'll admit to getting choked up at least once). A fun film that will have no problem being called a chick flick, as it is that, and then some. Wear pretty shoes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a single episode of the show but I'm envious of your special screening and red shoes.Alas,this shoeophile will have to be content with wearing mine while watching the girls making the talk show rounds.

Linda said...

Dianna~If you haven't seen the show, you would be just fine waiting to rent this one if you're curious. I was glad to take the red shoes out at least once!