Saturday, May 17, 2008

Canvas

Mental illness is rough on the patient and the family. The film Canvas is a compassionate depiction of schizophrenia, in a woman whose husband and young son find ways to deal. Joe Pantoliano gave an excellent radio interview a few months ago, when the film was released to theaters. A true advocate of mental health awareness (depression is his affliction) he was passionate and articulate. The performances are strong, and accurate. This film is uplifting, honest and sensitive. I liked how the title of the film becomes relevant in one of the final scenes, quite touching. Out in DVD, this one is well worth a look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall the radio interview and even wrote down some of the things Joe mentioned at the time;I was sorry I never got to see his film.this subject is very close to my heart as well,glad to know Canvas is on dvd.I am anxious to see it.

Linda said...

Dianna~Check it out, I think you'd like it!