Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rachel Getting Married

A damaged family comes together for the wedding of the oldest daughter, in Rachel Getting Married. Rachel's sister, Kym, has been in rehab for the last 9 months, her parents are divorced and a family tragedy from the past is still a very open wound. There is a scene early in the film that choked me up, and I wasn't sure why. There was no dialogue. The "why" was revealed in a scene about 30 minutes later. I marveled at how the perfect emotions were created in the first scene through the acting and camera work. Now that's skill. The film runs a little long, but the emotional highs and lows of the character's baggage, conflicting with the joy of a wedding, makes for a wonderful story with very real sentiments. I think we may see a few nominations for this film come award season. Well written, well acted, well done.

2 comments:

Toto said...

Can't wait to see this one ... so glad Demme is back making excellent pics again. He's been missed.

Linda said...

Toto~I was surprised how much I liked this one. Demme does a nice job.