Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rent on Broadway 1996-2008

Through my tears, I marveled at the joy on the faces of the performers singing their hearts out in the final number of the final act of the final performance of Rent at the Nederlander Theater on Broadway (9/7/08). Thankfully, this performance was taped and brought to movie theaters to fans like me. I have seen this rock musical, live, twice. Once in Providence, RI (1998), and once on Broadway (2005). Having sat in the Nederlander Theater, surrounded by the magic that is the musical Rent, I felt called to the local movie theater to see this final performance. I was overwhelmed by the first shots of the stage. For me, Rent is heart. The story, the music and the creator. I am grateful for film, as it is the best way they have preserved the original cast in a feature film, Johnathan Larson's life story in a documentary and now this final Broadway performance. Original cast members joined in the final anthem of that last performance, it was a thrill to see them on that stage again. I'm so happy to have had the opportunity to see this performance. The walk down 41st St. will never be the same.....

No comments: