Sunday, April 19, 2009

Two Lovers

When Joaquin Phoenix made a bizarre appearance on The Late Show recently, I felt badly for the film he was supposed to be promoting. Two Lovers is an independent project. These films always need as much support as they can get, and count on the stars to promote them. I know that bad publicity is still publicity, but after that appearance, I'm guessing no one knew the name of the film. The shame of this is that Two Lovers is a good film. Phoenix is amazing (as usual) and Gwyneth Paltrow and Vinessa Shaw give excellent performances. The camera work is very creative. It's a strange story, Phoenix's character bounces between his two lovers like a ping pong ball. This film is worth a look, it will probably do well in DVD.

A little theater update, the Cable Car Cinema in Providence has new couches. This is a big deal, the place has received a face lift, and it looks great! Comfy too.

3 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I heard 'Two Lovers' was good, and saw a decent preview for it . . . think I'll wait for a rental.

Thanks for the review on 'State of Play' as I might try to catch that one next weekend. Posted 'Observe & Report' review today, which I only felt lukewarm about.

Anonymous said...

This is a very good, subtle film. I doubt that this is Phoenix's swan song, though. I've heard that his bizarre antics as of late are part of a mockumentary project by Casey Affleck. If that's the case, then I've got my eyes peeled for that.

Linda said...

2D~Two Lovers will work fine in DVD. State of Play was better than I expected, I think you'd like it.

V-Knowledge~ I hope Phoenix is not done with acting. The guy has a gift.