Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tribeca Film Festival 2011 Day 1

Checking into the Cosmopolitan Hotel late Tuesday night, I felt the same thrill I always do when I come to Tribeca. My room had been upgraded to a junior suite, and everything looked shiny and new. Wednesday morning brought sunshine and a quick call to confirm lunch with my friend Lucy. Before we met, I took a long walk around the neighborhood and through Hudson River Park. We had a tasty lunch at Greenwich Street Tavern, then headed to the box office to pick up my tickets. A quick subway ride brought us to 23rd Street and the Clearview Chelsea for a screening of Rid of Me. Katie O'Grady and James Westby were in attendance for a Q&A. Charming couple. Back in Tribeca, I grabbed a Papaya dog (yum) before going to my room to freshen up. I met the girls for dinner at Sazon. Delicious Puerto Rican cuisine, served with a nice sangria and great atmosphere. After dinner we walked the few blocks to BMCC theater for the premiere screening of Everything Must Go. Director Dan Rush, Will Ferrell and Steven Root introduced the film. This was a drama I enjoyed, but audiences seem to have a tough time accepting Ferrell as a dramatic actor. He was excellent in this, though the middle of the film was a bit slow. Great start to this year's festival!

2 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

Sounds like a blast! One year I really must do an out-of-town festival.

Can't wait to hear more about your Tribecca experience.

Linda said...

Hatter~This is such a fun festival, not only for the films, but to also revel in this wonderful city!