Friday, January 26, 2007

This Film Is Not Yet Rated

Instead of watching the State of the Union address the other night, I watched the documentary This Film Is Not Yet Rated. This film reminds me of why I have not watched the State of the Union address since the Regan administration, it just makes me mad. Whatever the bureaucracy, there seem to be secrets, backdoor deals and lies. The film industry, apparently, is not immune. From the time I got into my first R rated movie at the age of 14, I thought the rating system was a joke (trust me, I did not look 17). Later, as a parent, I tried to use the system to help me guide my family's viewing, but found the amount of violence and sexual innuendo that was acceptable in a PG-13 rating took some getting used to. Perhaps the ratings are an interesting guide to what the film's content might be, but I have come to realize that for the MPAA to make us think they are serving the public good or protecting the innocent, is laughable. Just the fact that most of the raters work for the major studios and theater chains, takes away much of their credibility. It is all about money, power, control and, oh yeah, money. This is an interesting film, and a system that may get a closer look as a result.

No comments: