Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Mighty Heart

The film, A Mighty Heart, is a love letter to Daniel Pearl from his wife Mariane. Based on Mariane Pearl's memoir, Angelina Jolie and Dan Futterman play the couple in the weeks of Pearl's kidnapping and ultimate demise in Karachi, Pakistan in 2002. Pearl was a journalist for the Wall Street Journal, exploring a post-9/11 middle east. The environment is dangerous and portrayed well by the documentary-style camera work. The politics are complicated and volatile, an innocent man is an unfortunate victim. This is an interesting film, a melancholy drama, easily Jolie's best work to date.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Hey Linda---well, you saw it so you would definitely know better than I would. I just read Entertainment Weekly's review that said that Jolie's superstardom basically gets in the way of her own performance. Did you find that to be the case?

2 Dollar Productions said...

I bet this is a good, well-made movie, but I have a hard time getting excited to see it as I know the ending already.

Linda said...

Hi Lori! I thought Jolie did a good job keeping her performance low-key, but there are moments where that glamour and starpower shine through. I didn't find it to be too distracting.

$2 - I will say, this is not a feel good movie. I felt sad through the whole thing, knowing the outcome of the situation. There is a very dramatic scene at the end that really got to me. Technically, the film is well done, the emotional ride is a little rough.