Saturday, June 02, 2007

Knocked Up

Knocked Up is one of the most well structured comedies I've seen in a while. A smart, professional woman gives in to a drunken night of sex with a man who could not be less of a match for her. The surprise pregnancy could be tragic, but the tone of the characters and their willingness to change, for each other, and the baby, sets up an interesting situation. It doesn't come easy, it's pretty realistic. Events take a predictable course, but the dialogue and delivery held the key to comedy for me. In the tradition of Wedding Crashers and The 40 Year Old Virgin, the goofy friends and caring family are funny, off color, and endearing. This film exhibits a firm grasp of the use of the word f**k for comedic effect and realism, well done. And who would have thought a rant from Ryan Seacrest would be funny?

PS (Stay for the credits, they show baby pictures of the cast and crew .... very cute!)

8 comments:

Abe Froman said...

Hi Linda. Back in the USA. Took my mom to Ireland for her 60th birthday. What a great time.

I can't wait to see this movie. If word of mouth proves to go as strong as what I've heard this movie will make a lot of money over the summer

Linda said...

Welcome back, glad you had a good trip! I really enjoyed this movie, good strong opening box ofice. It will probably stay in the top 10 most of the summer.

2 Dollar Productions said...

I'm going to see this next weekend, and plan to pay particular attention as it's the best reviewed comedy I've read about in awhile and I'm trying to figure out the best pacing for a comedy script I'm 3/4 of the way done with.

Glad you liked it.

Linda said...

This would be a good one to study. The pacing was good. Everyone I've talked to that's seen it, loved it.

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it. I loved it! I can't wait for the DVD.

Linda said...

This is the kind of film that will have great extras on the DVD!

Abe Froman said...

I rolled on the floor in the movie theatre while watching this movie. It will be a good one for DVD, I agree. Hope there are a few Easter Eggs on it!

Linda said...

Glad you had a good time!!