Thursday, June 07, 2007

Everyone Loves A Story ...... NIFF 2007

I always say that volunteering at the Newport Film Festival is kind of like summer camp. You have a really intense, really fun week with a bunch of people you really don't know, and then you go away from it ... for a year. When you return the next year it is like old home week and we do it all over again.

In the six years I have been involved with this festival, I have met people from all different walks of life that have one thing in common, a love for film and the love of a good story. In the process we tell stories, we collect stories, we get to know people through stories. We socialize over stories we pass the time with stories. It's pretty interesting, and I have my share of stories.

I've met a lot of new people in the last few days at the film festival. Really interesting people. And I've come to realize that I am having a better time listening to stories, this year, than telling them. Don't get me wrong, anyone who knows me, knows I love to talk and love to have someone listen to my oh-so-interesting anecdote, but I have really enjoyed being on the receiving end of the tales this time around.

Because we are dealing with the entertainment industry a lot of the stories are about celebrity encounters. Those larger than life people, in situations with the rest of us. In just two days I have heard wonderful yarns about the likes of Audry Hepburn, Steven Spielberg, Sylvester Stalone, Sean Connery and others. Though I know I will tell my share of stories this week, I'm enjoying the listening too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

personally I adore your anecdotes
;)

Linda said...

...and there are many!