Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Inside Llewyn Davis

Listening to interviews and reading reviews about Inside Llewyn Davis has had me chomping at the bit to see the film. The film will not play in RI for 2 more weeks, so I took the drive to Massachusetts to satisfy my desire. A 70 mile drive rewarded me with a film that takes us into the life of a struggling musician. It becomes apparent early on that he is a jerk. He is struggling against himself, trying to make a living in the early folk music world of Greenwich Village in the early 60s. His relationships with friends and family are strained, and he makes bad decisions regularly. The part of his life that holds his redemption is his music. Oscar Isaac delivers song after song, as Llewyn Davis, that I found gorgeous and mesmerizing. (When I got home I bought the soundtrack) Every aspect of this film is wonderful, and it is obvious why it is on so many "best of" lists. It will certainly be on mine.

No comments: