Thursday, February 22, 2007

Oscar 2007 : the People

There were so many wonderful performances this year. Many skilled actors were handed interesting roles. In the acting category the Oscar winners are pretty much a lock. Helen Mirren, Forest Whitaker and Jennifer Hudson should all go home with the gold. Eddie Murphy has been receiving awards for months for his role in Dreamgirls. He could win on Sunday, but my pick for best supporting actor is Djimon Hounsou for his performance in Blood Diamond. I think his performance was deeper and very intense.

One of the most powerful performances this year was behind the camera. Martin Scorsese's work has thrilled me for years. I had the privilege of hearing him speak at the Tribeca Film Festival several years ago, on the topic of music in film. The man is so passionate and articulate about his work, it was quite an experience for me. He should win the Oscar for directing The Departed. The film is intricate, intense and kept me on the edge of my seat. I really enjoyed watching him bring together the writing, casting, camera shots and sets to tell this crazy story.

No comments: