Thursday, May 02, 2019

My Fair Lady

I've always had trouble getting through the movie version of My Fair Lady even though I know the story and the music well. The misogyny was always too much. I saw the latest Broadway version and learned that they had changed a few small things to make the plot more palatable. I enjoyed the live version I saw, so I decided to give the movie another try. Audrey Hepburn is the biggest reason to see this film. Her performance is outstanding, even though the singing is dubbed (Thank you Marne Nixon). I'm still disgusted by the character of Henry Higgins, but there is a charm to most of the others that won me over. The costumes are amazing as well and I had the pleasure of seeing them live in the Warner Brother's Museum back in October. I'm glad that the Broadway version brought me back to the film. Well done.

No comments: