Saturday, October 12, 2013

Gravity

As I've said, I grew up on the 60s. Everything the space program did was on broadcast television. When they would air space-walks, I was terrified for the astronauts. What if their tether broke? What if they ran out of oxygen? What if their suit had a leak? Space scared me. When the trailer for Gravity came out, all I could think was, "oh God, my worst nightmare is now on film." As the glowing reviews started rolling in, I knew I would have to see it. Then they put it in the IMAX format. Shit. Wisely, I got my teenage nephews to accompany me. The film is intense, immersive and terrifying. I loved it. I was happy to have company on the ride home. We talked the movie out, and I love how smart my nephews are about film and science. If you can, see Gravity in IMAX 3D, as it was meant to be. Gorgeous and terrifying. Well done.

No comments: