Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Help

The Help is based on a novel in which an enthusiastic young writer decides to write the true stories of the relationships of colored help, to their white employers in the south in the 60s. The book deals with those relationships from the point of view of the help. I have not read the book, but the film was well written, well acted, poignant and at times funny. I think there will probably be an Oscar nomination for costumes. The amazing cast turns in strong performances, especially Viola Davis, Emma Stone, Octavia Spencer, Allison Janney, Jessica Chastain and Brice Dallas Howard. Janney made me cry. I really liked this film.

1 comment:

VJ said...

I just watched this. Janney was heartbreaking. Stone was great. The two main characters that played "The Help" were spellbinding. And the blonde everyone shunned- awesome. So many examples of how the status quo is maintained through bulllies and monsters.