Sunday, January 29, 2006

Ballets Russes

The documentary Ballets Russes is the history of that ballet company. I am a wanna-be ballerina. I have always loved everything about the art. The tutus, the grace and the music. Coppelia was the first live ballet I attended, I was captivated. When I was 10 we moved to the beach and sailing and swimming replaced dance lessons, but my fondest childhood memories involve a pink tutu I wore until it fell apart. To this day, ballet is my favorite dance form. In Ballets Russes, as the dancers are interviewed, we realize that the love of the art was more important than the paycheck. Most of the members interviewed are in their 80's and 90's and still run their own dance programs and studios ... impressive longevity. This was the earliest form of glamorous showbusiness. The stories are heartwarming and the endurance, both physical and emotional, are impressive.

No comments: