Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Unwigged & Unplugged in DVD

I have volunteered in the transportation department of Newport International Film Festivall since 2002. I started as a dispatcher. In 2005 I was asked to be a talent driver. I was assigned to drive Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer to their performances and screenings. They came to Newport to help celebrate Mike McKean receiving a lifetime achievement award. The three men are very dear friends. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement These gentlemen were friendly, kind and polite to a stranger they trusted to get them to where they needed to be. Their conversation was lively and they performed an acoustic set I will not soon forget. (I was also lucky enough to sit in on a sound check, musical magic). At the Q&A after the performance, they were asked if they would ever perform again as Spinal Tap and the guys laughed. Basically, they said they were over the wigs and costumes, but they really enjoyed performing together in an acoustic, informal format. In the spring of 2009 the three men did just that. They went on tour with Unwigged & Unplugged. The guys describe Unwigged & Unplugged by saying, "Think of the evening as three old friends jamming in your living rooms. As opposed to OUR living rooms; we won't be home." A concert DVD of the event is released today. I can't wait to get my copy. As I watch, I'll remember the moment I got a wink and a smile from one of the guys while I was standing backstage. That kind of thing only happens live, you never forget it.

State of Play also releases to DVD this week. Sin Nombre and Good Dick are in my rental queue.

3 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I think you driving gig for this event has been very cool, and meeting them sounds especially fun. I heard when they were touring as that would have been a worthwhile concert. At least the DVD will be out there.

And I had never heard of Steiner Studio . . . I'll have to look it up.

Anonymous said...

2D~Driving these guys was the most fun I've had driving talent. A real privilege. I'm excited to have their performance on DVD.

You'd be amazed at how many films you've seen that have been filmed at Steiner. Cool place.

Linda said...

2D~Sorry, that last comment was me.... forgot to switch Google accounts. ooops!