Sunday, June 12, 2005

I'm With the Band

My assignment at the Newport Film Festival was to drive Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer to their rehearsals,performance, dinner, film and party. Guest and Shearer, along with Michael McKean and Annette O'Toole, were performing at the Newport Blues Cafe, along with a discussion of their careers and music.

Not only were they charming, kind and friendly, but their concert gave this small-town gal the chance to say "I'm with the band". When we got to the venue for their performance, a security guard tried to tell myself, and the other driver ("THE Linda"), that only people with the band were allowed in the backstage area. We told them we were the drivers for the band, and got to sit in a special area, where we enjoyed a wonderful concert. It was an incredible performance, and an awesome day. McKean was honored with a lifetime achievement award, and his friends and collaborators were there to support and congratulate him. And I got to be a part of it all, thanks NIFF!!!!

3 comments:

Cupcake said...

I looked for you Mrs. S, but didn't see you. People were packed into the Blues Club pretty tightly. I'm sure you had a better view than me. That is so cool you got to drive Guest and Shearer around. They are so funny. Too bad Jamie Lee didn't make an appearance.

Linda said...

Nancy, I couldn't see the crowd very well, sorry I missed you. I had a bird's eye view of the stage....that was all I cared about. I didn't even know about my assignment until Friday night. I was pretty psyched!

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old article but I've only just found it. You got to be with Harry Shearer & Chris Guest. Was that on 11 june 05? & do you remember seeing a guy called Charlie Rocket around with them at any time? Tall bloke who I was told did a comedy sketch that was filmed with them @ the Newport Film Festival. ( originally I was told this was in August 05). Unfortunately I cant seem to trace what was filmed & what it was called.
I know this is a real long shot to be asking over 2 yrs later but do you have any info on this?

Do you have any photos of that occasion?

yasmin
25 oct 07.02:57
email me: yasmin_anjumuk@yahoo.co.uk

click on name above to find out why I'm asking.