Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Screen Scenes : Jane Pickens, Newport, RI

I know I wrote about the Jane Pickens Theater and Event Center back in the fall, but after meeting the owner this weekend, I feel compelled to give a little shout out again. Kathy Staab bought the theater with a vision for independent film and events. Tonight they are screening The Singing Revolution, with a Q&A with the writer, Mike Majoros. 7 PM, check it out! She told me she is organizing more events like this, to enhance the film experience for enthusiasts. I'm thrilled! It's a charming old theater, the concession area is loaded with exotic candies, yummy beverages, fresh popcorn and interesting books and cards. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and when the weather challenges the old heating system, ask for a blanket. Kathy keeps a freshly laundered stack to keep her patrons comfy! A cinematic gem in the heart of Newport, RI!

No comments: