Sunday, July 15, 2007

Talk to Me

The next film on the aforementioned "adventure" was Talk to Me. A biopic of the radio career of Petey Greene, in the mid '60's. I have always been a big fan of Don Cheadle, and this could be his most charismatic role yet. I also enjoy the work of Chiwetel Edjiofor who plays Petey's manager and best friend, Dewey Hughes. Hughes has big dreams for Petey and himself. A strong portrayal of two men's careers, in the midst of a turbulent time. The reactions to the death of Martin Luther King are especially poignant and well done. Also worth noting is the performance of Taraji Henson as Vernell, Petey's loyal, supportive girlfriend. I really enjoyed this film. Again, well worth the trip!

2 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I was hoping you'd see this one as I think I'll check it out simply because Cheadle's in it.

And I bet Rescue Dawn is good, but it looks awfully grim. I have to be in a particular mood to see those kinds of films.

Finally, back to the Potter movie, I really liked Oldman as well in this film.

Linda said...

I think you'd like Talk to Me, $2. Cheadle gives quite a performance, even in Petey's declining years.

Rescue Dawn has that war tension that is not very uplifting. Excellent film though. I was glad we saw Talk to Me after this one, left the theater on an up note.

The acting was so solid in the Potter film. The kids are getting better as they get older, and this was a good performance out of Oldman.