Saturday, May 05, 2007

Kentucky Derby

A little time out from film here, to comment on the Kentucky Derby. My daughter is there, the Queen of England is there, I have money on the race, what could be better?!?!!? I have a nostalgia for horse racing for several reasons. College pals and I enjoyed the infield at the Preakness in 1977, I attended Royal Ascot (yeah that's England folks, and the Queen was there that day too) in 1999 and I saw Cigar run at Suffolk Downs in 2000. Not a huge equestrian history, but I get a kick out of elite horse races, and the races are described as (and I agree) the most exciting two minutes in sports. The excitement is often fueled by money. I won a Derby purse years ago. A $42 win had me all about horse racing. I lost the next year, and declared I was out on betting. A call from my daughter, at the track today, had me back in the game. I had my money on Nobiz Like Showbiz, but Street Sense kicked my ass!! My horse finished 10th. Great race .... on to the Preakness!

If you are looking for a film reference here, I highly recommend Seabiscuit, both the film and the book. The film is good, the book has so many amazing stories, and breathtaking reenactments of the races.

4 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I've always wanted to do the Derby at least once. And you're right about Seabiscuit as the movie & the book were both excellent.

On a different front, I watched Little Children this weekend and while I thought it was good, I didn't think it was great.

The narratation bothered me, and I never understood why Winslet was married to her husband who was never developed at all. Still a solid flick, but . . .

Linda said...

Understand your reservations on Little Children. I was frustrated that Winslet's character's husband just kind of drops out of sight after such a flamboyant entrance. My favorite part was the ending. Startling, yet tidy. PS hope your internet injury is cured soon!

Abe Froman said...

Guess its pretty easy to get onto the infield for the Kentucky Derby...Just hope it doesn't rain or you'll be covered in mud. A lot of our coworkers are based in Kentucky and they have huge parties on Derby Day. That is one plus to being down in the area (Cincinnati is an hour + away from Louisville).

Linda said...

The infield at a horse race is a lot of fun! Although because of the queen's visit, they were not allowed, coolers or blankets, and there was a ton of mud from rain the night before. Mint juleps got them over the rough spots! :)