Sunday, August 09, 2009

Julie & Julia

The French Chef came to PBS in 1962. I was 6 years old. On a little black & white TV, my mother would glean cooking tips from this enthusiastic woman. Well into my teen years, I remember her watching the show, as did I, and a love for Julia grew. Boeuf Bourguignon was Moms favorite, and my family was the beneficiary. When I heard there would be a film with Julia Child as the central focus, I thought, "who could play this icon? Ah yes, a modern day icon, Meryl Streep. My friend Susan is a big-time foodie, so I made plans with her to see the film. We sat, entranced by the film, for two hours. The parallel stories of Julie Powell and Julia Child unfolding in front of us. When an editor splashed wine on the Boeuf recipe, I teared up. That was exactly what my Mom's copy looked like. The stories, the relationships, the food, oh so powerful. Thanks ladies. Lovely memories and a lovely film.

2 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

Glad you liked it, and smart move picking a food friend to go with you. :) This one has been getting good reviews, and seems to have opened pretty solidly over the weekend.

Linda said...

2D~Yeah, #2 at the weekend box office. I was surprised how many people were in a small NH theater on a sunny afternoon. Solid film.