Saturday, August 22, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

Watching Quentin Tarintino talk about Germans looking at WW II "through the eyes of guilt", I sat up and paid attention. My paternal heritage is German, and on a playground in the early 60s, I was called a Nazi. It stung. I have trouble with anything attached to WW II, the Holocaust. Photos of Hitler make me cringe. Now, Mr. Tarantino brings a very liberating, violent, fantasy tale to the big screen in Inglourious Basterds. The important word here is "fantasy". Scalping Nazis and taking a baseball bat to said folks makes sense to me. Gory and graphic in this film, I understand that it ain't right. As Tarantino says in his interview, Inglourious Basterds gives Germans an emotional outlet, humor, to deal with some pretty deep seeded f**ked up guilt. Probably because it was a f**ked up period in modern history. As a film, I loved the structure, the music, the camera work, the editing, the performances. In my book, well done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing Tarantino's take on the well-worn WW II-era genre of film. Where would you rank this film among Quentin's works?

Linda said...

Victor~ For me they rank like this:
1. Pulp Fiction
2. From Dusk Till Dawn
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Kill Bill (1&2)
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Four Rooms
7. Jackie Brown
8. Deathproof