Saturday, March 07, 2009

Watchmen

Having little to no knowledge of the graphic novel, Watchmen, was looking to be a plus for me going into the film. As this week unfolded, I read review after review of fans of the book, that were sorely disappointed in the movie. This only encouraged me, figuring I would be able to take the film on it's own merit. The reality of Watchmen is that it is the story of damaged souls. Superheroes with issues. The characters are complex, the story really takes a back seat. I liked the characters, the acting, the cinematography, the effects, the colors, the music, the satire. OK, I liked this film. Kinda feeling for the fan boys. The guys that sat in front of me called it "interesting". Made me a little sad, as they seemed disappointed. An interesting companion film recommendation I received, from a few of my reviewers, is the film Mystery Men. Rented it today, stay tuned ......

2 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I posted my review of 'Watchmen' today, and while I liked parts of it, it felt way too long. Then again, I didn't read the graphic novel, so . . .

And I saw 'Mystery Men' a long time ago, but I only remember that it had a pretty good cast.

Linda said...

2D~Watchmen was longer than it needed to be. Mystery Men too.