Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Across the Universe

From the names of the characters (Jude, Lucy, Max, Sadie, Prudence, Jojo, etc.), to the cameo appearances, I thought Across the Universe was a great ride. A love story that takes place in the 60's is the central focus. It is surrounded by self-searching, the Vietnam war and some crazy characters. All of this is done through the lyrics of Beatles' songs. Yes, this film is a musical. I thought it was put together in a very clever way. The lyrics of the songs are telling the story. So cool that when the characters randomly break into song, the words are perfect (thanks Lennon and McCartney). The combination of live action and animation brings just enough fantasy to soften the issues of the 60's. Cameo appearances by Bono, Joe Cocker, Eddie Izzard and Salma Hayek add to the mix. This film was so much fun for me!

4 comments:

Melanie Tuazon said...

I thought that this was a great assessment: http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/09/in-defense-of-p.html
And did you read the NYTimes review?

Linda said...

That is a good review, Melanie. I also agree with the Times review. For me, the best way to enjoy this film was to sit back, relax and go along for the ride .....

Anonymous said...

Where is this showing in RI?? Im dying to see it and its not playing anywhere- any tips?

Linda said...

I saw this in Boston, it was worth the ride. Closest to RI I could find it playing is a theater in Bellingham, MA (search showtimes at iMDB.com) I'm hoping it comes to RI soon.