Tuesday, December 21, 2004

De-Ve-De

Out in DVD today is the film De-Lovely. In this year of the biopic avalanche, this story of Cole Porter's life and loves is one of the good ones. Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd portray Cole and Linda Porter in this love story, which does address his attraction to men. I liked the way the story was told, the music is wonderful and the makeup and costumes are great.

Last week I forgot to mention the latest Harry Potter release. It is the first film on my Oscar list for art direction. This is a beautiful film, and contains all the normal Harry Potter hijinx. The kids are starting to act like teenagers, which is fun to watch.

Over the weekend I saw The Door in the Floor, a good example of don't see the film if you enjoyed the book, though Jeff Bridges gave a nice performance. I also saw Badasssss, another biopic. This one is about Melvin Van Peebles' experience making a film in the early 70s. Anyone interested in this very volatile time in film history (late 60s through the 70s) should check out the documentary Easy Rider to Raging Bull, the book is interesting too.

One of the funniest films I've seen this year is out in DVD. Shaun of the Dead is a spoof of the zombie movie genre. This movie is gory and funny, and is also about love and friendship. I know this sounds weird, but this is a fabulous film!!!1

No comments: