Friday, April 17, 2020

The Devil Wears Prada

I met Meryl Streep in the summer of 2000. It had been a while since I had seen her in anything in the theater and, until she introduced herself I was not 100% sure it was her. I always say it was her pre-Devil Wears Prada years. After Adaptation and The Hours, this film seemed to propel her into the pop-culture lexicon. Playing the head of a fashion magazine in New York City, her interpretation of Miranda Priestly is brutal, yet ultimately vulnerable. Her relationships with her staff, her competitors and herself are complicated. As her assistant, I especially liked Stanley Tucci's character describing himself as, "a young boy growing up in Rhode Island with six brothers." As a Rhode Islander myself, I got it. I was happy to revisit this movie and yes, I cried in the same place I did when I first saw it. Good rental.

No comments: