Saturday, January 02, 2010

Avatar

Kudos to the marketing for Avatar. My curiosity finally go the better of me, and I spent the afternoon on Pandora. Visually, the film is satisfying, intellectually, not so much. I don't need rocket science, just a decent story. The characters fell short in their motivations, the battle scenes were way too long and it took a lot for me to care about the good guys and hate the bad guys. I went through levels of boredom I have not experienced at the movies in a long time. Maybe editing would have helped, and the Titanic-esque music at the end just kind of made me mad. Not my cup of tea, but boy what a cash cow.
PS (My 11 and 13 year old nephews loved it.)

2 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

Great review - this is exactly my fear too and why I have yet to see it (but I will, on IMAX 3-D). Can't believe it's already hit a billion dollars. Crazy.

'Up in the Air' review is up over my way.

Linda said...

2D~The visual is most impressive. I'd be interested to see how you like it in IMAX. The 3D was cool, just a poor story.