Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Moon ..... again

I first saw the film Moon at Tribeca Film Festival back in April. Since January, the film has been squired to film festivals far and wide by it's director, Duncan Jones. I had the pleasure of meeting this young man when Sony sent the film to Newport Film Festival in June. It was the week before the film would open in limited release, and he admitted to a case of nerves on how the film would be received. Having seen the film already (and loving it), I was fascinated with his insecurities. A kind, funny, talented, polite guy who won this film fan over in a matter of minutes. A few hours later, he and his film had wowed the festival. This weekend Moon finally opened near my neighborhood, giving me the opportunity to see the film again.

On my first viewing of Moon, I was all about following the story. Delighted by the twists and turns of the plot, many of the fine points went over my head. On that night in April, as the lights came on in the theater, all I could think was, "I've got to see this one again." So last night I took the ride to the Showcase in Seekonk, MA, settled into a prime seat and let the film unfold in front of me for the second time. The delight for me on this viewing, was the attention to detail. An homage to infomercial products, big old fuzzy dice hanging in the rover, tasteful (and much appreciated) attention to Sam Rockwell's handsome backside (moon? ha!), the gorgeous score and using the names Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. This story takes place in a sci-fi setting, but the story is a great psychological drama. Though I could have waited for this one to come out in DVD for my second viewing, there is a benefit to seeing it on the big screen. This is a gorgeous film you deserve to see in a theater... big, big big. For weeks I've been obnoxious on Twitter and here, encouraging folks to see Moon. So much so, my daughter said, "Mom it sounds like you're getting something out of this." She's right, I get the thrill of recommending a damn fine film that I hope people will enjoy as much as I did. And a note to Mr. Jones: please make more!

4 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

Ha. You really did like this one. It's funny, but after you first mentioned, it I saw a ton of press on it. There was even an interview with the director in our paper a week or two ago. I'm going to have to go see it . . . Glad you enjoyed it the second time around too.

Linda said...

2D~Jones has done a ton of press for this film, hard working guy. I think you'd like this one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for checking out my review, Linda. I will make it a point to pour through this movie again once it hits DVD and the Blu.

Linda said...

Victor~ It's not often I see a film more than once. This one really struck me.