Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 My Year in Film

With about 260 films viewed this year, it was a good year in film for me. I'm not ready to share my Favorites of 2008 yet (still have a few films to see), but I had some notable film experiences this year.

About half my film consumption is in DVD. Notable this year were films I've either never seen, or haven't seen in a long time. Fun viewing with A Night at the Roxbury , Porky's, A Christmas Story, Soapdish and Adventures in Babysitting. In the classics category there was The Philadelphia Story, Captains Courageous and The Women.

I had my share of fun with film at the theater as well. Seeing Sex and the City on the night of the New York premiere, with my friends from 92 ProFM, gave me a chance to take my red high heels to the movies. Seeing Baby Mama (again, courtesy of ProFM, thanks Kim), BEFORE the New York premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival, was pretty cool. Seeing the Young @ Heart Chorus perform, after seeing the film, was exhilarating and inspiring. Hearing Philippe Petit speak, after the film Man on Wire, was a treat. Seeing my friend Heath's film, He's My Dad, at the Big Apple Film Festival was heartening. Seeing Cloverfield in NYC, the weekend it opened, was intense. Seeing U2 3D, in a theater full of enthusiastic U2 fans, just rocked. Seeing 27 Dresses, sitting behind all the extras, was a blast.

Thanks to all who join me in the theater or at film festival. To those who put up with that odd (or old) DVD I may bring to your house, and ask you to watch with me, thanks too.
Happy New Year and bring on the films of 2009!

No comments: