Sunday, May 18, 2008

Speed Racer

At the peak of an exciting scene, during Speed Racer, a little boy in the audience screamed, "Go, Speed Racer, Go!". The little guy was pretty excited. The audience I saw this with was predominantly little boys with their dads (yay for the two little girls, two Moms and me, for the estrogen factor). Little boys have a tough time sitting for two and a half hours (so did this big girl). So, if anyone asked me to edit this film, here's what I'd do.

What I'd leave in:
The kaleidoscope of colors that bombarded us in every scene.
The portrayal of women as smart and strong.
Boys in monkey pajamas, monkey in boy pajamas.
A strong emphasis on family.
The smart, sharp, creative scene cuts.
The last half hour.
The wonderful cast that really works.

What I'd take out:
The corporate, economic mumbo jumbo (blah, blah, blah)
The guns
The piranhas

Hmmmm, that cuts about an hour, perfect!

No comments: