Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia:Prince Caspian

I voraciously worked my way through the seven books in C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, when I was a kid. As part of a literature course in college, I reread the series. They held the same appeal for me, at both ages. Now, thirty years later, these books are being adapted to film, and I'm a happy fan. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe delighted me, and as the trailers for Prince Caspian hit theaters, I was psyched. I went to an early screening today, and was not disappointed. The Pevensie kids return to Narnia as the kings and queens they became in the previous tale. It is 1300 yeas later in Narnia, though only a year has passed in London. The evil uncle of Prince Caspian is trying to get rid of him, and keep Narnia in exile, but many battles, and the eventual intervention of Aslan prevail. There are plenty of battle scenes, well placed moments of humor and a story that was adapted better than I expected. All time favorites of mine, Peter Dinklage and Eddie Izzard give strong performances to tell this epic story.

No comments: