Saturday, February 27, 2016

Fun Home

Last year at the Tony Awards I became aware of the musical Fun Home. A stirring performance of the song Ring of Keys enchanted and delighted me. I learned that the musical was derived from a graphic novel by Alison Bechdel. Over the next few weeks I heard a lot of interviews with the author and writer of the musical. Over the summer my Father had a health issue that had me in doctor's waiting rooms where Fun Home kept me company. I loved the book I loved the story. Poignant and brave. Around the holidays my daughter asked what shows I was interested in seeing on Broadway. Fun Home was at the top of my list. Under the Christmas tree this year was a ticket for me along with the announcement that both of my daughters would join me. We made reservations for dinner and made an evening of it.

The show? We made our way into the Circle on the Square and took our seats. The show is staged in the round and we were seated next to the orchestra. An intimate theater. The actors were amazing, the set was an engineering marvel and by the end they had captured my heart. With no intermission, the climax of the play was powerful and the tears flowed freely during the last song. I left the theater with a huge smile on my face and a song and story in my heart forever. What a wonderful show, what a wonderful story. Thanks to Ms. Bechdel for sharing her life and her family with mine. What an experience.

No comments: