Saturday, May 18, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

I was 10 years old when Star Trek hit TV in the 60s. It was a wonder. My brothers and I were fast fans. There was adventure, humor, the future and I developed a quick crush on Captain Kirk. It was followed by movies and series reboots in the 80s that were OK, but when JJ Abrams grabbed the reins a few years ago, new life was breathed into that universe. In 2009 Star Trek won over legions of fans, and it looks like Star Trek Into Darkness has done the same. A very simple battle with a terrorist, for very simple reasons, is all we need for story. There is action, there are fights, chases, quips and yes, love. The audience I saw this with was full of fans, and at one point, when an explosion was imminent someone yelled, "get out!" The next line from the screen? "We'd better get out of here!" It was awesome. This film was a fun ride and a new actor interprets a familiar character masterfully. I really enjoyed this movie.

No comments: