Thursday, August 05, 2010

Jurassic Park Revisited

When my daughter was a kid, she was obsessed with dinosaurs. We did the balsa wood skeleton models and books about the prehistoric creatures. As she got older, her interest was fueled by reading Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. This was her transition from Babysitters Club to novels. I was pretty psyched. When the movie came out, the kids saw it with their friends. I saw it in my early days of going to the movies by myself. I remember being scared to death during the chase scene in the kitchen with the raptors. Fantastic thriller, fantastic effects, cheesy acting, all good. I remember liking the movie, but I have not seen it in years. Tomorrow, the August Cort & Fatboy Midnight Movie is Jurassic Park at the Bagdad Theater. Cort & Fatboy have recorded a commentary with a bunch of my favorite Portland film folks to accompany the screening. Since I live 3000 miles from PDX, I have created a home version of this event. I have the tots, I have the beer, I have rented the disk, I have downloaded the commentary. Locked and loaded for a quality viewing of a classic monster thriller. Thank you Mr. Crichton. Thank you Mr. Spielberg. Thank you Cort & Fatboy.

No comments: