Saturday, March 03, 2007

Zodiac

David Fincher is another true artist in film. Fight Club, Panic Room, Se7en, The Game and now, Zodiac, among his best work. His films have an intensity of style that I really enjoy watching. The film Zodiac chronicles the investigation of the Zodiac killer in California, which has been an unsolved serial murder case since 1969. This is a long film, and the best advice I heard, before seeing it, was "be patient". Good advice, as this story covers almost 30 years of events and evidence, which is a task in itself. The involvement of the media, and portrayal of the murders, unfold well. Mark Ruffalo and Anthony Edwards play the detectives pursing the serial killer. Robert Downey Jr. and Jake Gyllenhaal portray the journalists that become obsessed with the case, to the point that it effects their personal lives. Gyllenhaal takes the investigation of Robert Graysmith, to a frantic dramatic level. His character unravels slowly, but sticks to the investigation to the end. There's even a little comedic relief in the portrayal of his character. Excellent work in this film, both in front of and behind the camera.

2 comments:

2 Dollar Productions said...

I wanted to see this movie over the weekend, but the 2 hr. 40 minute running time was too daunting for me.

But Fincher is always good, and I bet Downey Jr. nailed his role as well.

Linda said...

The run time is long, but I don't know what I'd cut. It moves right along. Downey Jr. was great, swear I'd watch that man read the phone book and be entertained. : )