Thursday, August 10, 2006

World Trade Center

On the morning of August 30, 2001, I enjoyed an iced cafe mocha in the plaza of the World Trade Center. I marveled at the sparkling buildings, the people hustling to work, the street vendors setting up for the day and the energy of the city in this gorgeous setting. The place was vital and alive. 12 days later, all that changed. My first reaction was disbelief. In the early scenes of the film World Trade Center, this is the core reaction of most people. When the towers came down, all I could think of was what was happening to all the people I knew were in those buildings and the surrounding area. I also had friends and family in lower Manhattan that day. Though I was 200 miles away, the impact was personal and frightening.

The film World Trade Center captures the fear and confusion of those hours from the perspective of those in the midst of the rubble, as well as those on the outside watching helplessly. The scenes of the trapped Port Authority policemen are claustrophobic and tense, the rescue scenes bring the lift we need. Is it too soon? Who knows if it will ever be a good time for films about 9/11. It was traumatic, and on many levels some people may never be ready for films like this.

This was an emotional film to watch, but I was grateful for the happy ending to this story of rescue and reunion.

No comments: